Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Welcome to 2013

After a pretty good day on Monday, the first 3 days of 2013 have been miserable. New Year's Day can only be described with the word "crappy" as that is how I felt all day. I wasn't having a lot of pain, but just felt an overall crappy feeling all day. Toward the end of the day, the Miralax finally did it's job, so that pretty well explains things. Strangely, after that, the pain did set in and I had to double up on the Vicodin.

Other than some lingering pain that wouldn't go away, I felt relatively well on Wednesday as I got up and went to an early morning appointment with the Oncologist. I updated him on my condition and was advised to increase the dosage of the bowel moving products until achieving the desired results. I also discussed the fact that I was taking a double dose of Vicodin in addition to my Fentanyl patch and still had some lingering pain. He started to prescribe a larger dose patch, but since my pain wasn't great, decided to wait and see if getting my Xgeva shot would help things calm down a little.

The rest of the day was less pleasant. I kept taking the double dose of Vicodin and it didn't quite seem to do the job. I also had no apetite and though my wife prepared some delicious dishes for both lunch and dinner, I had to force myself to eat them. The day was mostly ruled by pain and as I logged in to work from home, I started wondering if I should consider taking a disability leave. That's something I really don't want to do, but if I can't put in the effort at work that I need to, it may become necessary. Somehow I managed to sleep through the night, in bed, waking only once when the baby got up for her nightly feeding. I managed to go back to sleep, in bed, and sleep through til morning when the girls woke everyone up at their usual 7:00AM.

I was sleeping really hard at the time and didn't really wake up well, so I went back to sleep and somehow managed to sleep until 10:00 when my wife came in to say goodbye as she took the girls off to their dance practice. I wasn't feeling too bad, apart from a dry mouth, so I decided to get on up and the pain hit me as soon as I stood up. This time is wasn't the leg and back pain from the previous day, but was now in my hip and lower back. I took a Vicodin to see if it would be enough, and an hour later took a second as it was not. That cycle pretty much continued through the day so I called the doctor to relay my situation. They called back and suggested that I double upon the patches and then referred me to a radiology oncologist since my pains sound like they may be nerve related. It was late in the afternoon, so I'll call them tomorrow. Hopefully this double patch will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment