Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Health Odyssey

Laying on the table in the radiation room is a little surreal. It reminds me of a scene from "2001:A Space Odyssey" as I lay there on the table, looking up at the nature print on the ceiling (cherry blossoms) and the table slowly rises then moves back into the machine. Then as the scans and radiation doses take place the machine rotates around me, it sort of gives a visual sense of weightlessness. The only thing missing is hearing "Blue Danube" through the speakers and I keep waiting for the technician's voice to sound a little more Hal-ish. The whole process only takes about 10 minutes start to finish. As soon as I am fully relaxed, it is over.

Prior to going in today the TV in the lobby had "The View" on with subtitles enabled. It was amusing to watch the subtitles try to keep up with the shows hosts' incessant babbling and talking over one another and I felt a little sympathy for the people who have the job of trying to capture subtitles on a live show, especially that one. It's hard enough to listen to, much less try to write it all down at a full pace. The sad thing is that there's probably not anything worthwhile that gets missed by those who depend on the subtitles for their content.

Overall, I felt OK today though my stomach has been a little off today. I've been hungry, but hesitant to eat anything heavy. This afternoon is occurred to me that the main potential side effect of the radiation is incontinence. I don't know if that explains it after only two treatments, but at the moment it's the only explanation that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment