Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Double Down

Went to the Urologist on Friday and got my first shot of Lupron which is the actual treatment for the prostate cancer. In reading the pamphlet that came with it, it was mentioned that side effects included increased symptoms for the first few weeks after taking it. I was fine over the weekend. Monday was a Monday. I didn't feel so great and had to take Vicodin with a little more frequency than recent days, but otherwise wasn't that bad. Tuesday was a little worse. Had to take the Vicodin every 4 hours and was a little uncomfortable all day. Took my last one before going to bed and managed to sleep through til the baby woke up at 4:30. I had a little pain at that time, but figured that I could manage a couple more hours sleep without taking another Vicodin.

Woke up at 7:00 in a fair amount of pain. Even after taking a Vicodin, it seemed to grow through the morning as if I hadn't taken any. I called the Oncologist for advice. The nurse answered and told me to take an extra Vicodin and she'd call me back after consulting with the doctor. 10 minutes later, I felt fine which is weird because usually these Vicodin take at least a half hour to kick in. She called me back a few hours later and said that the doctor suspects I'm having a flare up from the Lupron and to double up on my pain medication, both the Fentanyl and Vicodin, for a few days. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully it won't make me a zombie, but I probably shouldn't do any driving until I'm back to standard dosage.

No comments:

Post a Comment