Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Appetite for Reconstruction

My appetite seems to be coming back on it's own without any artificial assistance. I don't know this is due to the radiation effects leveling off, acclimation to the new regime of pain meds, having my bowels become a little more regular, getting rid of the Thrush, or perhaps some combination of the above, whatever the cause, I'm finding myself getting hungry on occasion, primarily during my midnight awakenings. I also find myself being more interested in eating. Even when I don't necessarily feel hungry, I am having an easier time eating whatever is placed before me.

An interesting twist to all of this is that generally, I'm most interested in eating foods on the more healthy side. For some reason, the more junky foods still have little or no appeal to me and I find myself having to force them down whereas the healthier stuff has no problem. Funny how the body can do adapt in times of stress and relay what is needed most. I'm not ready for the all you can eat buffet yet, then again, I've never really been a fan of them, and I'm not sure if I'm back to consuming the required daily minimum of calories, but I've definitely turned the corner from complete disinterest in eating and am feeling a little more "normal" in that respect.

On a related note, because of the weight loss concerns, my doctor recommended that I avoid the "low fat" foods, especially dairy, suggesting that I eat whole milk yogurt, etc... I generally agree with this anyway, finding the whole "low fat" craze to be more marketing than good nutrition, but since being given this directive, I've found that it's damn near impossible to find products made with whole milk. Today I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things and yogurt was one of the things on my list. I prefer the greek style yogurt as it tends to be less sweet than the "regular" yogurt. Out of the entire 12 foot yogurt counter, there was only one selection of whole milk yogurt. All of the rest were either low fat or fat free which seems largely pointless, especially since most of these fat deprived options are full of sugar and other sweeteners. They're not really low calorie, they've just replaced good calories with bad. Cottage cheese was another. I struck out on finding whole milk cottage cheese, so I went with he highest fat option that I could find, a startling 4%.

6 comments:

  1. Avacados and nuts are high in fat too, but the good kind! I've been using almond milk in smoothies and usually feel pretty full, not sure what the caloric difference is to whole milk though. REALLY interesting that your body is wanting natural stuff though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoneyfield Farm used to make some amazing whole yogurts - they have since stopped making them. Fage also made a dreamy whole yogurt with cherry topping - I since can't find it at Weg anymore. If I get by a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's I'll be sure to take a look for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-998-MAGNESIUM.aspx?activeIngredientId=998&activeIngredientName=MAGNESIUM

    Magnesium supplements may help with constipation, appetite, and nerve pain caused by cancer. Run it by your doc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read this update :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your handling all of this really well, Clint. I for one am proud of you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olives Olives Olives - they're a gram of fat EACH... Sometimes (especially now that the gallbladder is gone) I'll sit here and eat half of a jar of green olives and a bag of almonds - so good together! :)

    ReplyDelete